The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 9:51am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
comparator recommendations (Read 4150 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

comparator recommendations
Mar 11th, 2014, 10:22pm

Hi all,

does anybody know of a good comparator design? I'm looking for the fastest, meanest, ugliest design around. Right now I'm using one similar to that detailed in "A Low-Noise Self-Calibrating Dynamic Comparator for High-Speed ADCs" IEEE ASSCC Nov 2008.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Re: comparator recommendations
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2014, 4:32pm

Interesting paper.  

I recently designed a pretty simple high speed comparator borrowing the basic circuit from a paper by Yin JSSC Feb 1992.

Basically a input diff pair followed by a cross-coupled latch with a pretty simple clocking circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2014, 6:06pm

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at it, but I'm not sure it would be as fast as the one I'm using...I also tried the strongarm comparator, and the one I'm using turned out to be around 2x faster...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2014, 11:39am

latching or not?
clocked or not?

Some of the most efficient designs integrate the comparator with the next stage latch

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2014, 8:02pm

Clocked and Latched.

Basically the one I'm using has a first stage "dynamic preamp" and a second stage latch. The dynamic preamp's output is reset to VDD with PMOS transistors, and then on the clk signal, the input diff-pair turns ON and the PMOS load turns OFF which pulls the output CM down to ground with some differential gain along the way. About halfway down, the preamp triggers the next stage latch. Because the PMOS load is OFF, the gain of the preamp is very high and it uses little power because it is dynamic.

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.