The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does this comparator work? (Read 7792 times)
Jacki

How does this comparator work?
Apr 24th, 2014, 5:07pm

Hello,
   I am try to design a SAR-ADC example, and I try to build a comparator first. The comparator I used is from the paper "A 0.8-mW 5-bit 250-MS/s Time-Interleaved Asynchronous Digital Slope ADC", the structure of the comparator and the testbench I used are shown below.
   The comparator is differential, I use 900mV DC voltage at the negative input, at the positive input, I use the ramp voltage from 850mV to 950mV, 1mV per step. This testbench I used is for the offset test.
   The problem is this comparator doesn't work. I cannot find any reason. I also try to reset the inputs, but still I cannot get the correct results.
   Can anybody hint me some potential errors I did?
   Thank you.

figure1.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: How does this comparator work?
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2014, 5:09pm

Here is the structure of comparator.

figure2.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2014, 5:27pm

Jacki wrote on Apr 24th, 2014, 5:09pm:
Here is the structure of comparator.

For this comparator, it looks like based on inverter, since the output of first stage is connected to the output second stage, a kind common mode voltage can be set for the inverter at the first stage.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2014, 6:06pm

Hi,

I've been known to be wrong, but I think I see a major flaw with the comparator you posted and I if I'm right, I would steer clear of this design.

The problem is that the input has no common-mode rejection. Its pseudo-differential. So taking your example where Inn is connected to 900mV, how do you know what the threshold of the inverter is? The inverter connected to Inn might be permanently ON. So if Inn = Inp = 900mV, both inverters could be ON. The only way to get it to work would be to set the input common-mode of Inn and Inp equal to the threshold of the inverters, and that's an unreliable way to design a comparator IMO.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2014, 2:29pm

Hello Aaron,

Thank you very much for your explanation. At the beginning I am also confused about the threshold voltage of this comparator. Since this paper is in JSSC, then I think it should work well for most of the cases. I will set the common mode voltage, and try it again. But the common mode voltage should vary as the process corners, do you think this comparator is sensitive to the process variation?
   Thank you.
   Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2014, 1:19am

You're welcome. Anyway just because its in JSSC doesn't mean its a good circuit. On the other hand, it might be suitable for the author's application. Bear in mind that its a 5-bit design whereas your SAR is presumably a lot higher...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2014, 2:21pm

As somebody who has been a reviewer for the IEEE JSSC - Just because it is there doe not make it a good design.

Suggest doing something with a differential pair amplifier structure.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2014, 9:27am

It looks like the cross coupled inverters are preset with outp high. In order to change the output the signal from the input stage must be strong enough to flip the latch so it would need to be very large. That is probably why it isn't working. Normally cross coupled nands are used so both outputs start balanced high.

I don't like the comparators where the latch output is driven by the input stage because small offsets in the latch can prevent it from flipping. It is better to drive one of the gate or source inputs of a cross coupled nand.

As others have pointed out, these types of input stage topologies have poor common mode rejection, although I'm seeing a lot of them used. The CMR can be managed by using longer devices and the common mode input is normally controlled by the common mode output circuitry of the previous stage... Nonetheless, I'm old school and prefer to use a standard diff pair with high CMR that I know works rather than cut corners only to wonder if my corner cutting is why the part "almost" works. Don't risk the whole project to save 4 transistors...

And I agree with the others that say just because it is in JSSC doesn't mean you should use it. Most of the authors are students with no real world experience.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2014, 4:07pm

IEEE JSSC is a mixed bag of quality, some good and some bad.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.