The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:40pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
phase jitter simulation for case OSC + divider (Read 3311 times)
tianyun1116

phase jitter simulation for case OSC + divider
Jun 02nd, 2014, 3:47pm

I was running PSS and PNOISE sim to test jitter performance of my oscillator, which is followed by a frequency divider. The output is from divider and the clock goes to ADC. ADC clock input is a threshold circuit, so I think only jitter performance is of concern. Noise type in PNOISE is PM jitter for driven circuit.

1. I played with PSS and PNOISE a while. And I found some results I can't explain. The clock is square wave, so I choose shooting but not harmonic PSS to calculate frequency. In my assumption the number of harmonic shouldn't be matter to PNOISE result, since I choosed shooting, but it turns out the result changed a lot once i modified the number of harmonic.

2. I also case about frequency and jitter result over temperature. I had chance to make test chip for my osc, and from lab, the jitter result increase with temperature, which match with my expectation, since white noise and flicker noise play a big role. but in simulation, the result doesn't match with my expectation. I can't see the trend of jitter perform with temp. But I also simulate OSC alone by using source noise type, the result did match, the integrated phase noise increase with temp. So for my case like autonomous OSC pluse a frequency divider, how should I set up PSS and PNOISE setting?

3. I don't know whether my setting is accurate enough, does anyone has any idea about this?

Thank you so much
Aaron

PSS_setting.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
tianyun1116

Re: phase jitter simulation for case OSC + divider
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 3:47pm

add Pnoise setting

PNOISE_setting.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.