The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to guide for noise_table usage in VCO (Read 5179 times)
kg_maclean

How to guide for noise_table usage in VCO
Aug 20th, 2014, 3:02pm

I would like to generate a noise table file for an all transistor VCO and then use that noise_table file in a closed loop PLL simulation using
veriloga models.

Is there a how-to guide or an example veriloga file showing the usage of the noise_table function and the exact required format for a
noise_table file?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: How to guide for noise_table usage in VCO
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2014, 3:32am

Hi..
Why don't you save noise date into CSV file and import this table into VDC. Which works pretty fine for all PLL sims...

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
kg_maclean

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2014, 11:41am

Thank you for the suggestion which helped very much.

I was not able to get spectre to accept a noise file which had been created in CSV format, but I used trial and error on the other file formats.  I found that if I selected SPECTRE as the output file type in
my VCO pnoise simulation and then used the file created with the .in file name extension that spectre would run and generated a similar output ac noise spectrum to what I saw in the pnoise simulation.
The spectrum was not identical in that there is an offset of +0.535dB at all frequencies between the small signal ac noise simulation and the original pnoise simulation.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 1:54am

Hello,
Could be some thing wrong in sim, because here ac sim is not even calculating any thing other than simply displaying .csv file(I don't know about .in file)
Check how do you plot spectrum...

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
kg_maclean

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 6:31am

Hi Raj

I figured out the cause of the offset.  The pnoise result for the vco is displayed in dBc/Hz referred to the rms amplitude of the signal (at the vco frequency).  When I save the pnoise data to a .in.spectre file the raw amplitude (in V/sqrt(Hz)) is saved, which must be referred to the actual rms amplitude to get the correct magnitude in dBc/Hz.  When I did this additional step in my small signal ac simulation the magnitude was correct.

Thank you very much for your help on this.
Ken

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.