The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 15th, 2024, 7:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dynamic Latch Comparator (Read 3152 times)
farsheed

Dynamic Latch Comparator
Aug 01st, 2014, 11:16am

Hi all,

I want to know that, propagation delay is an important factor for designing a dynamic latch comparator. Can someone explain why the factor is so important and how much delay is expected/expectable as the output result?

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: Dynamic Latch Comparator
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2014, 3:21pm

The propagation delay sets the maximum frequency of operation for the latch.  You want the decision to propagate as fast as possible so you can clock the comparator as fast as possible.

How much delay is expected depends entirely on the process you are using.

View Profile   IP Logged
farsheed

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2014, 10:02am

Thanks for the reply. I am using CADENCE 0.18um process and I'm getting 4.2nS as the delay for my design. My design is able to run for 50MHz. Is this response ok?

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2014, 11:11pm

Probably but it depends on that you're using it for.  It's not fast enough for a 50 MS/s pipelined ADC for example, but it could be fine for other applications.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2014, 2:19pm

To expand... propagation delay isn't fixed - with small inputs it gets larger and larger. With a small enough input it won't trip in time and you will get an error. The problem is called metastability. You need to figure out how small an input you can handle and jump through some formulas to convert it to a bit-error-rate.

Designer's guide actually has a paper on it... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ve...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.