The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:57pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Analog AGC vs Digital AGC in FM receiver (Read 303 times)
angel

Analog AGC vs Digital AGC in FM receiver
Aug 07th, 2014, 12:23am

Hello. I would like to ask one question about AGC (automatic gain control).

I need to design the LNA with AGC for the FM receiver.

As I know, digital AGC require many control bits and switches which complicate the design, analog AGC has higher resolution than digital ways. Except this point, could you please let me know the pons and cons of analog and digital AGC?

And if I will choose analog AGC to achieve fast response, than what is the gain settling requirement of FM system, and how fast the AGC loop should achieved?

Thank you very much.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Analog AGC vs Digital AGC in FM receiver
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2014, 7:41pm

generally I try to keep the analog parts of a system minimal, it tends to be smaller in size and easier to control. Plus if the control is digital you can hand the amplitude detection output and the gain control input off to someone else to implement in Verilog, and get rid of the big integrating and filtering circuit elements.

Registers and counters are always smaller than a big analog method. Less power too.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
angel

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2014, 10:30pm

Thank you very much.

The gain of the digital AGC is controlled by the receive baseband through a digital-to-analog converter (DAC), whereas that of the analog AGC is self-adjusted without the control of the receive baseband. However, much implementation of the AGC function in the digital baseband requires the digital signal processor (DSP) to be awake all the time, which causes significant power consumption. The analog AGC not only saves the digital AGC from an additional DAC but allows the DSP to sleep most of the time as well, reducing power consumption.

Therefor, in the point of power consumption, I feel analog AGC is the better choice.

Also digital AGC require many control bits and switches which complicate the design.

Can I understand like this way?

Thank you very much.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2014, 2:14am

Hi,

I can't say I have any experience designing an AGC, but I think your points aren't quite right.

Quote:
However, much implementation of the AGC function in the digital baseband requires the digital signal processor (DSP) to be awake all the time, which causes significant power consumption.

Are you implying that you might want to turn ON the AGC without turning on the rest of the baseband? Why would you want to do that? If so it can probably be arranged anyway.

Quote:
The analog AGC not only saves the digital AGC from an additional DAC but allows the DSP to sleep most of the time as well, reducing power consumption.

Depending on the kind of resolution you need, the DAC could be pretty simple. I guess for FM it only needs to be very coarse since you can probably use a limiting amplifier at the end anyway. The DAC can probably be incorporated into the LNA's current source (assuming it has one).

Quote:
Also digital AGC require many control bits and switches which complicate the design.

I think digital AGC is overall simpler. In the first place, stability is much less of an issue. Its likely to be physically smaller, and all the digital parts will scale with technology. You can also easily power down the AGC. In an analog AGC, you can't use registers to store the gain setting.

In terms of speed, there are ways to speed up the digital AGC if you have to, such as using successive approximation, or a look-up table.

I'm thinking that for FM, the amplitude isn't critical, so the AGC is probably simple...correct me if I'm wrong.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2014, 3:25pm

The digital system of most devices can be done with selective on-off of sub sections of the devices so the power consumption issue is not valid.

Also power consumption of a small block of logic at a l;ow clock rate is negligible generally.

The gain control DAC is a few switches I expect. No siginificant area.

The analog device will have some good sized capacitors for both the functionality and the internal compensation of the op-amps.

The digital method I expect will be lower power and smaller area.

Jerry Twomey
angel

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2014, 11:05pm

Thank you very much to aaron_do and loose-electron.

I am also agree with your opinions. In fact, I am trying to clarify the advantage of Analog AGC for my research, however, according to your opinions, seems it's hard for me to find the advantage of analog AGC compared with digital AGC except no switching noise from digital steps. ^-^

Could you please let me know the advantage of analog AGC compared with digital AGC in your opinion?

Thank you so much.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2014, 7:46pm

Hi,

Quote:
it's hard for me to find the advantage of analog AGC compared with digital AGC except no switching noise from digital steps. ^-^

Actually the amount of switching noise is probably negligible in your case since your main amplitude control will be done by a limiting amplifier. In fact, I think I would avoid "analog" AGC on the LNA stage in particular since you would be providing a feedback path for noise right to the front of the system.

assuming we aren't limited to FM systems, here are my "educated guesses"

Speed:
- Digital loop with look-up table could settle very quickly. The system will integrate amplitude over a certain number of periods (enough to average out the AM information) and then feed back the answer in a single pass.
- Analog loop speed depends on the amount of information in the low frequency amplitude modulation, and the stability of the system. The signal effectively has to go around the loop several times before the system settles.

Resolution:
- The digital loop uses a high-resolution ADC followed by a digital peak detection. Linearity can be high.
- The analog loop uses a logarithmic amplifier and a peak detector. Output is averaged and compared to a reference voltage. Log amp and peak detector limit the linearity.

Size:
- For digital it totally depends on the implementation. There are ways to make it small.
- For analog, it might depend on the bandwidth of your "video filter". It may not be large either.

Power consumption:
- digital can be turned OFF or use a very low clock frequency. Only dynamic current consumption.
- analog is more difficult to turn OFF and consumes DC current.

Simplicity:
- For digital, stability is a non issue. Design is easily scalable to other technologies and benefits from technology scaling.
- For analog, no system clock is needed so it might be better for fully analog systems (maybe this applies to you?). Technology scaling isn't so good for analog.

If you really don't want to do a digital approach, maybe a hybrid approach would work. For example, you could have an RSSI followed by a comparator with hysteresis and some asynchronous logic. Just a thought...

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2014, 8:49pm

angel wrote on Aug 10th, 2014, 11:05pm:
Thank you very much to aaron_do and loose-electron.

I am also agree with your opinions. In fact, I am trying to clarify the advantage of Analog AGC for my research, however, according to your opinions, seems it's hard for me to find the advantage of analog AGC compared with digital AGC except no switching noise from digital steps. ^-^

Could you please let me know the advantage of analog AGC compared with digital AGC in your opinion?

Thank you so much.

Allows for fine resolution gain control, no switching noise, can be modeled as a linear control system.
No digital designers required.

not much IMHO

Jerry Twomey
angel

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2014, 9:18pm

Thank you so much to aaron_do and loose-electron.

I learned a lot from you ^-^

The opinions are really helpful for my research.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.