The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:01pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
low voltage bjt operation (Read 1482 times)
dnw

low voltage bjt operation
Aug 15th, 2015, 8:22pm

Is there any bjt design working below 500 mV. If not why?
I was wondering because when they operate Mosfet in sub-threshold it is supposed to behave like a bjt with capacitive divider at the input. Is there any disadvantage of using bjt (excluding input impedance) at lower voltages?

Mohit

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: low voltage bjt operation
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2015, 7:26am

The emitter-base voltage is too large: on the order of 600mV at room temperature and 800mV at -40C biased at 1uA (the numbers are very rough and depend on size f transistor). You can get some improvement as you lower the current, but each time you half the current you only get a Veb reduction of 17mV at 30C, 13mV at -40C. You'd have to decrease current by 7 orders of magnitude (0.1pA) to get 500mV at -40C, and that wouldn't even give you enough headroom to bias the thing.

Also, at low currents you get low level injection which lowers the current gain if the transistor (beta or Hfe). This may not matter if you are just using it as a diode.

You can use Schotkey diodes for less base-emitter, but there is some issue or they would be used all the time.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2015, 12:59am

RobG wrote on Aug 16th, 2015, 7:26am:
The emitter-base voltage is too large: on the order of 600mV at room temperature and 800mV at -40C biased at 1uA (the numbers are very rough and depend on size f transistor). You can get some improvement as you lower the current, but each time you half the current you only get a Veb reduction of 17mV at 30C, 13mV at -40C. You'd have to decrease current by 7 orders of magnitude (0.1pA) to get 500mV at -40C, and that wouldn't even give you enough headroom to bias the thing.

Also, at low currents you get low level injection which lowers the current gain if the transistor (beta or Hfe). This may not matter if you are just using it as a diode.

You can use Schotkey diodes for less base-emitter, but there is some issue or they would be used all the time.

Agreed Vbe does not get adjusted like Vth does. The PN junction on silicon is pretty fixed in characteristics.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2015, 11:07pm

Hi Mohit,

What is the intent of trying to use a bjt at low Vbe levels?

Bye
Anil

View Profile   IP Logged
dnw

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2015, 4:53am

Anil,
Whenever MOS is used for sub-threshold it is mentioned that it behaves as BJT. So I was curious that why BJT is not used in first place, is it only due to its low impedance.
Regards,
Mohit

View Profile   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2015, 10:38pm

Hi,

May be i should rephrase my question a bit. If the intent of using an MOS device in sub-vt mode is to make it work like a bjt, then you already have a bjt.

or, let's say you can directly use a bjt device. Then, if you have a bjt then why again operate it with low vbe?

Bye.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2015, 8:04am

AniReddy,
a sub-vt MOS behaves like a BJT, i.e. has exponential relationship between vgs and id. Depending on your process, the Vbe equivalent (Vgs) can be significantly lower with a MOS.
Also, "real" BJTs (with reasonable beta) often require additional masks (and therefore costs).
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
dnw

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2015, 7:03pm

Anil,
I was wondering about the effectiveness of BJT for low-power operation (equivalent to sub-threshold of MOSFET).  BJT has more gm for the same current. This was the reason why I asked this question.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2015, 11:42pm

BJTs require a Vbe voltage to turn on. The Vbe is usually 600-800 mV. So you can't use BJTs for low voltage operation. I suppose you can look for a low Vbe BJT, but I doubt it will be lower than the Vt of a MOS.

BJTs are used for high performance applications.

Sub-threshold MOSFETs are used for low power and typically low speed applications.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.