The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XOR gate output jitter (crosspost from analog) (Read 2173 times)
xorgatejitterguy

XOR gate output jitter (crosspost from analog)
Jan 01st, 2016, 7:56pm

Hi all,

First: I'm new and not sure which forum is better for this question, hence the crosspost.

Looking for some thoughts on some persistent XOR gate output jitter I am experiencing.  Taking a beating.  The basics:

- quadrature square waves @ ~34kHz from a 2-circuit PPOP comparator IC are driving the PPOP XOR gate inputs
- little/no deterministic jitter is seen in these 2 outputs / inputs to the XOR gate (distribution of HI and LOW pulse widths and period are approximately Gaussian with low variance)
- very clear jitter seen on XOR gate output (2 very distinct clusters in histogram of LOW pulse widths; HI pulse widths are Gaussian with small variance)
- No amount of supply bypassing on either the XOR or the comparator circuit would so much as affect the jitter
- the XOR gate output edge whose phase jitters is the LOW-HIGH transition.  At the time of this edge, one of the quadrature square waves is also transitioning either H-L or L-H.
--- the shorter of the two low pulse widths happens when the one quadrature square wave is also transitioning L-H, and the longer of the two low pulse widths happens when the input is transitioning H-L.  Assuming the issue is VCC or GND movement and the true switching threshold occurs at a fixed point between the VCC and GND as seen at the device, this would make sense.  However, the lack of effect of supply bypassing puts a hole in this theory.

What are the odds that what I'm seeing is layout related / direct electromagnetic coupling between the traces rather than VCC / GND bounce?  If this is the case are there any techniques I could try before waiting for a layout revision?

Thanks in advance for thoughts / advise.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: XOR gate output jitter (crosspost from analog)
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2016, 10:09pm

Sounds to me like this is a phase detector for a PLL?

Couple things:

High frequency filtering of power and ground outside the chip has limited frequency effectiveness.

Your bond wires and lead frame inductance will allow power and ground to bounce no matter what you put outside the cghip.

Internal localized decoupling is needed.

Consider a differential circuit that is less dependent on absolute power and ground.

Consider a circuit that redirects the current (thing differential current steering logic) rather than turns it on and off.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.