The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 9:56pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question on Elmore delay (Read 3875 times)
Debdut

question on Elmore delay
May 20th, 2016, 4:18am

I understand that Elmore delay is a model for interconnect networks, the networks being represented by cascaded RC network.

I am trying to create a delay line with RC networks and calculating the R-C values using Elmore delay model. But after simulation I am not getting the correct delay at the nodes. For smaller networks I have seen that Elmore delay is different than delay calculated using Laplace transform. But for large network the Laplace transform is becoming very complicated.

Can there be a simpler way predict R-C values that produces delay which matches with simulation?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: question on Elmore delay
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2016, 1:45pm

How you are finding delay with Laplace transforms? By using time constants?

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Debdut

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2016, 10:37pm

I have calculated the transfer function and did inverse laplace for step input. Then finding the time taken for the output to reach 50 percent of input.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2016, 1:24am

HI-
Yes that is called time constant based calculation. Elmore delay is based on  dominate time constant, means in the transfer function ignore all s power terms except constant and s-coefficient. Hence this pretty accurate if systems is dominted by single time constant. For a given network if one R and one C domintes this works generally. Please post which circuit is creating problem.

Best Regards,
Raj.

Debdut

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2016, 11:10pm

"Elmore delay is based on  dominate time constant" - thanks for the info.

The circuit has three low pass RC networks just connected in cascade. It does not have a dominant pole. All the RC values are comparable. So what can I do to generate correct delays ... I mean how do I calculate?

View Profile   IP Logged
Debdut

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2016, 1:55pm

Thank you again, raja.cedt. Is there any way to rate your comments. It saved me.

I added a large time constant circuit and I am getting the precise delays that I want. Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2016, 2:37am

Which book you are using for Elmore delay. If you are interested better look for 8th chapter in the following book or just read open circuit time constants method.

The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits

Good Luck,
Raj.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.