The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:49am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SAR ADC SNR variations for different FFT numbers (Read 16631 times)
niloun
Community Member

Re: SAR ADC SNR variations for different FFT numbers
Reply #15 - Oct 04th, 2017, 11:59pm

sheldon wrote on Oct 4th, 2017, 12:58pm:
Niloun,

The noise should not increase with the number of bins, just guess,
but there must be something in the way you do the calculation. Are
you adding noise voltage or noise power?

I use power as I said above:

%noise = [s(1:sigbin-1);s(sigbin+1:end)];
%snr = 10*log10( s(sigbin)^2/sum(noise.^2) )

When I use a Hann Window (which reduces signal discontinuity) there is negligible SNR variations, I guess it is something to do with that, If the calculations were wrong, ideal sine (only containing quantization noise) would also give wrong results.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2017, 4:43pm

With coherent (prime) sampling and rectangular window I see only a dB or so of SNDR variation as I increase the number of samples. Perhaps it is your "integer sampling" instead of prime sampling that is throwing it off.

I suppose the first few samples of your ADC could also be bad.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2017, 9:57pm

RobG wrote on Oct 8th, 2017, 4:43pm:
With coherent (prime) sampling and rectangular window I see only a dB or so of SNDR variation as I increase the number of samples. Perhaps it is your "integer sampling" instead of prime sampling that is throwing it off.

Thanks RobG, I stated above that by "integer cycles" I mean integer/prime number of cycles. For example I use 7 cycles for N=64.

RobG wrote on Oct 8th, 2017, 4:43pm:
I suppose the first few samples of your ADC could also be bad.

I have checked the digital output codes both manually and by Matlab, I don't see much difference between the first samples and the rest but maybe you are right I must try.

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2017, 4:44am by niloun »  
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2017, 9:21am

Sorry I missed that you were doing what I call prime sampling. I did not see where you told us how much it is varying - what is the change you are seeing?

You seem to be doing everything correct as far as I can tell.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2017, 11:37am

Hi Niloun,

Can you post pictures of what your FFT's look like before and after increasing the number of bins? (say number of points > 1024). The examples where you say increasing the number of bins helps the ENOB.

I am suspecting you might be getting spectral leakage. That might be why changing bins with a Hann Window does not change much.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2017, 12:14pm

RobG wrote on Oct 9th, 2017, 9:21am:
Sorry I missed that you were doing what I call prime sampling. I did not see where you told us how much it is varying - what is the change you are seeing?

You seem to be doing everything correct as far as I can tell.

For N=64 cycles=7

without windowing: SNR=22.7184 ENOB=3.4815
with windowing:     SNR=41.6099 ENOB=6.6196

For N=4096 cycles=409

without windowing SNR=38.1335 ENOB=6.0421
with windowing:     SNR=40.0398 ENOB=6.3588

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2017, 12:21pm

Hey Niloun,

I asked for the pictures because it will tell us if you have spectral leakage or not. I can't just tell from the numbers.

Basically, I am guessing your 64 pt FFT with rectangular window (what you are calling no window) looks like the 2nd picture on this page (triangular towards the bottom of the fundamental tone).

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1040

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #22 - Oct 10th, 2017, 12:34pm

DanielLam wrote on Oct 10th, 2017, 11:37am:
Hi Niloun,

Can you post pictures of what your FFT's look like before and after increasing the number of bins? (say number of points > 1024). The examples where you say increasing the number of bins helps the ENOB.

I am suspecting you might be getting spectral leakage. That might be why changing bins with a Hann Window does not change much.

For N=64 cycles=7 without windowing

For N=64 cycles=7 with a Hann window

For N=4096 cycles=409 without windowing

For N=4096 cycles=409 with a Hann window

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #23 - Oct 10th, 2017, 12:35pm

DanielLam wrote on Oct 10th, 2017, 12:21pm:
Hey Niloun,

I asked for the pictures because it will tell us if you have spectral leakage or not. I can't just tell from the numbers.

Basically, I am guessing your 64 pt FFT with rectangular window (what you are calling no window) looks like the 2nd picture on this page (triangular towards the bottom of the fundamental tone).

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1040

I was preparing your answer.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #24 - Oct 10th, 2017, 12:52pm

Just to double check, your Fin has as many digit precision as possible right? For example, for Fin = 7/64 * Fs. That is the Fin input, and you are not using 0.11 * Fs as your Fin.

Otherwise, I am a little stumped. Best advice I can give is to make an ideal ADC in matlab, and make sure that works. If that works fine, I'd suspect a rounding issue somewhere. I'm assuming these measurements were from a Cadence sim?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2017, 6:30pm

Yeah, something's messed with the 64 pt sim. You shouldn't need windowing to get the noise floor down. My best guess is that the first few samples are corrupted (either the ADC or the way you are processing the data). Sometimes this can happen if your reference is settling, but that usually produces a skirt. It is really hard to debug from here. Let us know what you find out.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #26 - Oct 11th, 2017, 12:45am

DanielLam wrote on Oct 10th, 2017, 12:52pm:
Just to double check, your Fin has as many digit precision as possible right? For example, for Fin = 7/64 * Fs. That is the Fin input, and you are not using 0.11 * Fs as your Fin.

Yes exactly, for instance when using N=64 and cycles=7 for Fs=200K, I choose Fin to be => 200k*7/64=21.875K

Otherwise, I am a little stumped. Best advice I can give is to make an ideal ADC in matlab, and make sure that works. If that works fine, I'd suspect a rounding issue somewhere.

I have simulated an ideal sine (only including quantization noise) and this SNR decline didn't happen at all(with and without a window).

I'm assuming these measurements were from a Cadence sim?

Yes, I have imported data from Cadence to Matlab.

Sounds that RobG is totally right, the first samples are corrupted, I will post the results below. Thanks so much for your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2017, 1:09am

RobG wrote on Oct 10th, 2017, 6:30pm:
Yeah, something's messed with the 64 pt sim. You shouldn't need windowing to get the noise floor down. My best guess is that the first few samples are corrupted (either the ADC or the way you are processing the data).

Thank you so much, your suggestion worked, I simulated the ADC for N=64 and cycles=7, I ran it for a longer time (640u instead of 320u) then I used output data from 320u to 640u :

N=64, cycles=7, Fin=20K, Fs=200K

RobG wrote on Oct 10th, 2017, 6:30pm:
Sometimes this can happen if your reference is settling, but that usually produces a skirt. It is really hard to debug from here. Let us know what you find out.

One of the professors in our department said that the circuit is trying to wake up in the first conversion cycles that's why the first few samples are corrupted. I don't understand "Circuit's trying to wake up"!

I am very thankful.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #28 - Oct 11th, 2017, 7:23am

Glad that worked. Waking up just means initial transients in the reference and/or bias currents are settling out.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2017, 9:49am

Nice one Rob. The good old transient startup times.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.