The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectrum analyzer spurs measurement (Read 1819 times)
iVenky

Silicon Valley
Spectrum analyzer spurs measurement
Feb 27th, 2018, 11:56pm

Hi,

I have a question regarding spectrum analyzer spur measurement. If I want to know the spurs with respect to carrier power level, should I use the phase noise feature of the spectrum analyzer or find the dBc value directly on the spectrum (which may include AM noise also). I see different results using both ways. Which is correct? I am more interested in Period Jitter due to spurs.

View Profile   IP Logged
deba
Community Member

Re: Spectrum analyzer spurs measurement
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2018, 8:44pm

Phase noise analyzer is equivalent to limiting the input with a limiter and then seeing the voltage spectrum. If one use a voltage limiter(which will limit the AM noise), spectrum analyzer output and phase noise analyzer will be identical.

As you have mentioned, with spectrum analyzer there will be AM noise but with a voltage limiter the AM noise will be suppressed.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.