The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO Simulation - Cadence - ILoad vs. Vout - Line Regulation (Read 911 times)
repah
Community Member

LDO Simulation - Cadence - ILoad vs. Vout - Line Regulation
Jul 23rd, 2019, 2:09pm

Hello,

I would like to plot Iload vs. Vout  for the Line Regulation for an LDO in Cadence Virtuoso and am wondering what the best approach would be.

I can put just an ideal current source, Idc using AnalogLib as the Load but that doesnt seem correct.

Should I use a controlled source in Cadence instead, like a current or voltage controlled source that links the two - if so - how would that be set up ?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Re: LDO Simulation - Cadence - ILoad vs. Vout - Line Regulation
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2019, 11:53am

My approach is minimum number of simulations and maximum results. You should choose
DC simulation with ideal load current and get results for :
1. bias margins,
2. output voltage
3. reliability risks

AC Simulation for Stability, PSRR etc. should require your load current to be varied as LDO is non linear. The poles move with load current changes.

Your worst case regulation will be bad at worst case gain. So you will have to stabilize your LDO in order to even see the possible gain and regulation. Generally the stages go out of saturation to a low gain corner when stressed to max load, min supply, ss 125, min res corner. You would see that the bias margins are bad in this corner. This is because ss will enforce more overdrive requirement by previous stages and 125 will ensure the max vdsat.

In short you need to go around a small cycle of DC-AC to be really sure what your load regulation is. A first cut regulation can be achieved after biasing in DC simulation alone. And then sweeping load in the worst case I have mentioned above.

Step input regulation will require you to complete AC to see the dip due to current step and settling time. That's AC load regulation.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.