The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bandgap couldn't lock to Vref. (Read 2355 times)
Jacki

bandgap couldn't lock to Vref.
Jul 25th, 2019, 8:18am

Hello,

I am simulating a classic sub-1V folded bandgap voltage reference circuit with the OTA. The OTA is good even if mismatch is added during the MC simulation. However the bandgap doesn't work at some MC statistic corners, and the input voltage of the OTA drops to ground. For the same MC statistic corner, OTA itself can work properly. Does anybody have the experience before? I use the current source to bias the OTA now, shouldn't have any startup issue. Any comments are highly appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: bandgap couldn't lock to Vref.
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2019, 8:37am

I am pretty sure it is not due to the startup circuit, I have added one to guarantee the bandgap core circuit to avoid the all "zero" state.
In the statistic corner, I can see the mismatch of the input stage of the OTA, threshold voltage mismatch is around 5mV, but I don't think it is such a big issue.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2019, 6:16am

I also check the loop gain in both positive and negative with phase margin, looks ok, but the input gate voltage of the NMOS transistor is always drops to zero.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2019, 5:31am

Is the problem due to the simulator setup? Or do I run the MC simulation in a wrong way? Currently I run globalMC and localMC at the same time, from my understanding, it shouldn't be the problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2019, 5:32am

By the way, if I only run localMC, it is fine.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2019, 4:10am

As shown in the figure, basically it is just a simple bandgap, the ota is a folded one, just wonder why it is so sensitive to the mismatch. All of the PVT corner simulations are fine.

bg_001.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2019, 4:22am

By the way, is it ok for the cascode transistor entering the linear region in the folded cascode ota? From my opinion, it is ok.

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2019, 6:32am

Jacki wrote on Jul 26th, 2019, 8:37am:
I am pretty sure it is not due to the startup circuit, I have added one to guarantee the bandgap core circuit to avoid the all "zero" state.
In the statistic corner, I can see the mismatch of the input stage of the OTA, threshold voltage mismatch is around 5mV, but I don't think it is such a big issue.

I suggest to check the mismatch case only, where the BG did not work. The information that the input terminals of the opamp goes to ground, suggest me that the start-up circuit fails in that corner, and/or the loop gain is not enough in that corner. Double check that the start-up is really functioning. Just adding some startup circuitry might not work in all corners, and it could give you false sense of confidence.

Triode region for the cascode means that you have - much - smaller output resistance on your gain node, and therefore the gain if the amplifier will be compromised. You should be able to see this in small-signal analyses.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2019, 6:48am

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, it is the mismatch from the current mirror. I have found the problem. Now can achieve 0.8V - 3.6V supply voltage rang with PVT and MC. However, in MC still 2 of 200 samples cannot give good results, but I think this needs fine modification only.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.