The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:05pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADC Verilog-A Model Symbol View (Read 1121 times)
alexshel44

Calgary
ADC Verilog-A Model Symbol View
Apr 28th, 2020, 10:05am

Hello Everyone,

I am working through the book 'The Designer's Guide to Verilog-AMS' in chapter 3 listing 26 there is a model for an ideal ADC. I fully understand the code however I am having difficulties generating a symbol view in Virtuoso due to variable number of bits. If I instead set the number of bits to a constant everything seems to work properly.

When I generate the symbol view with the variable number of bits it gets an error on the output bin which is defined as out<0:bits-1> where bits is a variable.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can get this to work?

I'm not sure what versions are relevant but, I am using Virtuoso 6.1.7.

Thanks a lot,

Alex

View Profile   IP Logged
alexshel44

Calgary
Re: ADC Verilog-A Model Symbol View
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2020, 10:11am

I just found the modification to this listing that is posted on this website. https://designers-guide.org/verilog-ams/dg-vams/ch3/ch3-listing26.tgz

I guess this is just a feature that doesn't work in spectre anymore. Does anyone have more insight into why this is the case?

Thanks,

Alex

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2020, 2:40am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2020, 1:23pm

Spectre is not ADE. The limitation is in ADE not Spectre, and it has always been there. I put the examples in the book without checking that they were compatible with ADE.  That was my mistake. Sorry about that.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.