The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 2:58pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to ensure the pll loop stability with VCO gain variation? (Read 1113 times)
tulip
Community Member

How to ensure the pll loop stability with VCO gain variation?
Sep 05th, 2020, 5:45am

I designed a PLL, the VCO's control voltage Vtune is in the range of  0.7V~2.5V, the VCO(ring VCO) can oscillate from 10M to 1.2G, the target frequency of VCO is 500M, when the PLL locks, the Vtune  is about 1.2V.
The problem is: the VCO gain at Vtune =0.7 or 2.5 (two ends of the tuning range) is very low, especially at Vtune =0.5, the VCO gain is 100M/V, while at Vtune=1.2, the VCO gain is 680M/V, consider about process corner and temperature variations, the VCO gain variation is much bigger.

I designed the loop filter, which can ensure stability when VCO gain is among 300M/V to 1.4G/V, but at low end of the VCO tuning range(Vtune=0.7) , the VCO gain is 100M/V, the pLL is not stable.

At the PLL taget frequency, the VCO tune voltage is between 1~ 1.2V, far away from the low end of the VCO tuning range.

My question is : Will my PLL work properly? when vtune is 0.5V(at this vtune voltage,  the PLL loop can be unstble), can it converge to the target voltage of 1.2V?

Thank you.

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.