The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:58pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does the kickback noise really infect on the resolution in SARADC? (Read 587 times)
Jacki_2016

How does the kickback noise really infect on the resolution in SARADC?
Jun 30th, 2022, 2:00am

Hi,

we normally discuss the kickback noise of the comparator, but how it really infects on the resolution of the SARADC? From my opinion, take a dynamic comparator as an example, if we can see the kickback noise > 1LSB, then it will impact on the final bits since what I can see is the kickback noise will stay until next reset phase.
   Any thoughts on it?
   Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: How does the kickback noise really infect on the resolution in SARADC?
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2022, 5:05am

I am not sure whether I understand your question correctly. Kickback noise happens right after the decision is made in the comparator, hence it won't affect the current decision. The positive feedback will increase the dV/dt, which will couple to other nodes through the ever-present capacitances. It will disturb the input and the reference of the comparator. These signals should return to their real values before the next comparison is made in the comparator.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki_2016

Re: How does the kickback noise really infect on the resolution in SARADC?
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2022, 6:07am

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, you are right, the kickback noise will disturb other nodes (like reference voltage), or else due to the hysteresis, it will not impact on the current decision.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.