The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 2:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Direct Conversion mixer with small beat freq. (Read 4033 times)
R. Zakai

Direct Conversion mixer with small beat freq.
Dec 08th, 2003, 1:34pm

I am simulating a direct conversion mixer with LO and an RF signal that are very close in frequency. As a result, the simulator has a small beat frequency. PSS analysis simply fails to converge as long as the beat frequency is low. It converges just fine if the RF signal is taken away and only the LO signal is present.  

Can anyone suggest changes in my technique or other things I can do to successfully run the simulation with both LO and RF signals present. My end goal is to estimate IIP3 which requires running PSS simulation with LO and first RF.

Raz

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Direct Conversion mixer with small beat freq.
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2003, 12:45am

In SpectreRF, the QPSS/QPAC analysis is the method of choice for this kind of simulation. You should select the LO as the large signal.

You can find some useful information about how to set up a QPSS analysis in Appendix F of the SpectreRF User Guide. If you have access to SourceLink, you can find it at http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/Release_Info/icoa5033/spectreRF/appF.ht....

Another suitable analysis type for simulating the IIP3 of a mixer is Harmonic Balance, if you have access to a simulation engine that offers this feature.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Direct Conversion mixer with small beat freq.
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2003, 7:50am

Frank is right. QPSS is the way to go for the base analysis, with QPAC, QPXF, and QPnoise being used for the various small signal analyses.

You will also want to take a look at Accurate and rapid measurement of IP2 and IP3 at http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/. It describes a way of computing IP3 that is much faster than the traditional approach. That paper describes the technique in terms of an LNA and PSS/PAC, so you will have to adjust the procedure to fit a mixer and QPSS/QPAC.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.