The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 3:12pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simulate clock jitter? (Read 10484 times)
jimmy
Community Member

How to simulate clock jitter?
Nov 20th, 2004, 6:24pm

Hi all,

I have a quesiton on how to simulate jitter?

I want to simulate the clock jitter from my clock generation circuit. Say, if I apply a ideal sinewave to my clock generation circuit, I will get a clock signal after a few digital gates. All device noise, supply nose and substrate noise will add jitter noise to the final output. I want to simulate how much jitter my final clock have.

Can any one tell me how to do this simulation?

thank you so much,
jimmy li

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: How to simulate clock jitter?
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2004, 10:16pm

There are a few papers on this site about analysing phase noise and jitter in PLLs; the same approaches could be used for your circuit, I'm sure.

Also, spectreRF in IC5141 has a new mode in pnoise analysis to specifically measure jitter in both driven and autonomous systems. You might want to try that?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jimmy
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:00pm

Andrew:

My circuit is driven by a peridical signal, not like VCO. I choose "time domain" for "Noise type" in PNOISE form and then simulate the voltage noise at the zero-crossing poiint. After simulation, I can plot the spectrum at the zero-crossing point of my output clock. Then I do integration to get the noise power. The time jitter at the zero-crossing point equals to the noise power divided by the square of slew-rate at the zero-crossing point.

Do you think I am right or wrong?

Thank you so much for your help,
jimmy li

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:49pm

You are almost right. Please take a look at the thread starting at http://www.designers-guide.com/Forum/?board=rfsim;action=display;num=1092399689;..., where I explain the procedure in some detail. Please note that the thread is distributed over several pages, the most interesting stuff is probably on page 2.

jimmy
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2004, 2:36pm

Frank,

Thank you, I have read your replies. They are very useful to me. I also have
read the two documents on the website and got more sense. Now I still have some
small questions. Hopefully you can give me a hand.

1. You said PSS simulation can find tc.I used transient to do this and found these two
simulations show different result. I mean, the zero-crossing point of my output clock are
different from these two simulations. I don't know why. And as you said, tc is"the time where the signal crosses the theshold level of the following stage", so do you think I shouldn't use zero-crossing point as tc? Do you think I should connect the following stage to my clock otherwise I can't find tc? I think the sizing of the following stage will affect tc value.

2. In the direct plot form, when I chose tdnoise/integ output noise/total noise/spectrum/magnitude, I didn't
see any fields allowing me to input starting and ending frequencies. When I clicked "plot" then, I got an error
message "fprint/sprintf: format spec incompatible with data nil". I don't know why. The cadnece i am using is 5.0.0_MSR

3. If I chose 'output noise", not "integ output noise", I got the spectrum after clicking plot. The unit of Y-axis
is V/sqrt(Hz). Do you mean I should integrate this curve from 0 to Fs/2? I think the result will be different than
if I integrate power then take square root. I mean, integ(V) is not equal to sqrt (integ(Power)), am I wrong? I am a little confused here on the equation (53) and (54) in document "predicing the phase noise dn jitter of PLL....".

4. Since the jitter is in the order of ps, Do you think the tc I used should be accurate enough, for example, 21.12345n, not just 21.1n? And do you think tc should be within 0 and T. I found PSS only generata a transient waveform from 0 to T

thank you so much,

jimmy li

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2004, 12:08am

Quote:
1. You said PSS simulation can find tc.I used transient to do this and found these two  
simulations show different result. I mean, the zero-crossing point of my output clock are
different from these two simulations. I don't know why. And as you said, tc is"the time where the signal crosses the theshold level of the following stage", so do you think I shouldn't use zero-crossing point as tc? Do you think I should connect the following stage to my clock otherwise I can't find tc? I think the sizing of the following stage will affect tc value.

You have to use the PSS simulation to find tc, because the PSS simulation is used as the basis for the following PNOISE analysis. The timepoint tc is where you want to examine the jitter of your circuit. If you have a differential circuit, the zero-crossing point will probably be ok.

Quote:
2. In the direct plot form, when I chose tdnoise/integ output noise/total noise/spectrum/magnitude, I didn't
see any fields allowing me to input starting and ending frequencies. When I clicked "plot" then, I got an error
message "fprint/sprintf: format spec incompatible with data nil". I don't know why. The cadnece i am using is 5.0.0_MSR

I'm afraid I can't help you with problems you have with your specific Cadence installation. You should probably ask your local experts to examine these problems.

Quote:
3. If I chose 'output noise", not "integ output noise", I got the spectrum after clicking plot. The unit of Y-axis
is V/sqrt(Hz). Do you mean I should integrate this curve from 0 to Fs/2? I think the result will be different than
if I integrate power then take square root. I mean, integ(V) is not equal to sqrt (integ(Power)), am I wrong? I am a little confused here on the equation (53) and (54) in document "predicing the phase noise dn jitter of PLL....".

With noise, you always have to integrate the power. So, if you have the result in V/sqrt(Hz), you first have to square it in order to get the power, then integrate the power, and finally take the square root to get the "noise amplitude" in volts.

Quote:
4. Since the jitter is in the order of ps, Do you think the tc I used should be accurate enough, for example, 21.12345n, not just 21.1n? And do you think tc should be within 0 and T. I found PSS only generata a transient waveform from 0 to T

This depends on your circuit. You can just try and see if it makes any difference. With PSS, the time will always be between 0 and T.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.