The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 8:06am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Margin versus Load Capacitance (Read 5265 times)
OpAmp

Phase Margin versus Load Capacitance
Dec 11th, 2004, 10:38am

Hi,

I am going to sweep the load capacitance of my designed op-amp and see the corresponding phase margin. Actually, I need a plot for phase margin versus load capacitance.

Can anybody help me how to do it with Spectre?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Phase Margin versus Load Capacitance
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2004, 12:46am

With the analog design environment (aka AnalogArtist) this
is easily achieved. You can either use the stb (stability) analysis added in the IC50 release, which will measure the phaseMargin and gainMargin (and loop gain) of a loop - the loop can stay closed; you just need to put an iprobe in the loop, and then point the stb analysis at that iprobe. Or you can use one of the traditional methods (ac analysis of the amp in open loop, probably getting the operating point from a closed loop simulation, using the spt1switch etc component in analogLib to open/close in different analyses; or using Middlebrook's method) - and use the phaseMargin function in the calculator.

Having got your appropriate output expression ready for a single point, then do a parametric sweep of the load capacitance (make it a design variable). What ADE will do is  plot any scalar value against the swept variable, giving you what you want.

This isn't an absolutely detailed step by step answer, because that would take quite a lot of time, and probably I'd need to do it to make sure I got the description spot on - I'm assuming you have a reasonable idea how to use the tools.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2004, 9:23pm

So for stb analysis, you put a voltage source with 1V AC magnitude between between the node that you want to break and probe it in the analysis. Is that right?  It seems to work, but want to confirm.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2004, 10:02pm

Yes, that would work. However, the 1V AC magnitude is not necessary (it doesn't do anything). Essentially you have to have a device for measuring the current in the loop - and that would be either a zero-volt vsource or an iprobe.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2004, 5:03pm

Yep it works !  Now I have another question, what if I have a fully differential amplifier how do I simulate Loop Gain?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2004, 6:21pm

Hi,

See Ken's book, "The Designer's Guide to SPICE and
Spectre" pages 113-128. The explanation includes
techniques for measuring both differential and common-
mode loop characteristics. In addition, you can check out
the following link:

http://engr.smu.edu/orgs/ssc/slides/20001215b.pdf

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.