The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Substrate Noise Analysis (Read 3400 times)
mohammad

Substrate Noise Analysis
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:07am

Hi,
Does anyone know what is the best software tool for simulating substrate noise effects? Simplex used to offer SubstrateStorm and CADMOS offered SeismIC but both of them were acquired by Cadence and it seems that Cadence have integrated both in Substrate Noise Analyst. But there are only a few documentations on it and I think they have just put them together without actually connecting them to each other.

Any comments on how to simulate substrate noise at Spice level is also appreciated. I have seen several papers suggesting small lumped element networks but it seems that they work only for small circuits.

Thanks.

M.H.

View Profile   IP Logged
jfosorio
Ex Member

Re: Substrate Noise Analysis
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2005, 1:39am

Hello,
I currentrly use Substrate storm and I have evaluated SeismIC. You are alright they were "integrated" in SNA, although I dont know any big change in substratestorm that is the software I use most.
I think that they differ in the algorith they use to modelate the subtrate. When I have evaluated SeismIC in the tutorial It surpise me a lot that you only have to describe  the subsrtate doping leval, while in substratestorm you describe the a detailed substrate profile. Then the models extracted by substratestorm are more detailed (this means a large number of Rs and Cs) . I think this is the reson substratestorm is prefered by circuits with few transistors and RF applications. However I have simulated "large" circucits with thousand  of transistors  using the macro capability of SS, Basically It assumes that in a selected area the substrate below is a single node, that is almost always true for Heavly Doped substrates with enogh substrate contacts  but it should be used with care in Lighly doped substrates.
bye

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.