The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Source/drain symmetric in MOSFET model (Read 19033 times)
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Source/drain symmetric in MOSFET model
Jan 16th, 2006, 6:36pm

Dear all,
Anyone who has experienced in solving the compact model's source/drain gummel symmetric issue?
I've used symmetric Vdeff but still there are some intrinsic problem of the fundamental equation. Any gurus, please advice.  ;)

View Profile gilbertsee   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: Source/drain symmetric in MOSFET model
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006, 1:21am

Do you want to simulate a potential based model or want to setup equation based on surface potential?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2006, 6:35am

Why don't you take the CMC's next standard MOSFET model, PSP?
http://pspmodel.ee.psu.edu

One starting point was the Penn State SP model, which used a "symmetric linearization" method to handle charge partitioning along the channel. The BSIM models are fairly symmetric in current (but not its 2nd derivative) but have trouble with the channel capacitance.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2006, 5:10pm

Wow, so fast got respond in the community d! Great and thanks! Grin

Basically, I'll need to setup/develop the current equations based on surface potential...I noticed how PSP handled using the symmetric linearization method, which i also tried to follow. But, it seems to me I'm still missing some pieces of the trick/puzzle here and there. I'm suspecting that there could be some intrinsic problem due to the way how i handled the intrinsic regional surface potential at inversion(which is simply following Philip's "old" model in strong inversion...). So, i'm hoping to find some clue from anyone who worked on this before....Thanks...

337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2006, 7:41pm

Upzz....for lunch..

I realized with the PSP's approach...it can work on the old Philip's strong inversion...Now, my difference potential between source and drain is symmetric...but my Id still not symmetric!...sigh...... Undecided

337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2006, 1:40am

Upzz...before going back..

Hmm...i might need to take back the previous claim...still have more problems...... Cry
Anyone?Anyone?Anyone? Please enlighten...ha ha ha  ;D

337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2006, 5:51pm

Upz....anyone??

337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2006, 10:21pm

Dear ALL,

When i look at the normalized equation, i ran the gummel test on the simplest equation, normalized(mobilty,width and length) it seems that it was already not symmetry? How come??? 1st figure is Id vs Vx, 2nd, DId vs Vx, 3rd, D2Id vs Vx

simplestNormalized.jpg
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2006, 12:31am

Cool

337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2006, 3:14am

Anyone do this test on the model? Do they tune to get the symmetry behavior? Wink

Istherehope.jpg
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2006, 5:03am

I'm not clear on what you think your problem is. In your first set of figures, the 1st derivative looks like two straight lines, so maybe you didn't take enough points to compute a good numerical derivative.

Are you concerned that Id(Vds) != Is(-Vds)? Or are you trying to pass the Gummel symmetry test with a couple derivatives?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2006, 8:28pm

Thanks Geoffrey fur your reply.  ;D

The 1st derivative looks like two straight lines are not cause by lack of numerical points. It was actually the way my data is computed. I just sweep one site of Vx, then do a image reflect onto the other site. So, my transition point will always go through zero.

Quote:
Are you concerned that Id(Vds) != Is(-Vds)? Or are you trying to pass the Gummel symmetry test with a couple derivatives?

I thought both are actually related? If my Id(Vds)!=Is(-Vds) then I'll failed the Gummel symmetry test, right?  :-/ Now, I'm more concerned with the passing the Gummel symmetry test at the 2nd derivative....

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2006, 4:24am

337see733 wrote on Jan 20th, 2006, 8:28pm:
I just sweep one site of Vx, then do a image reflect onto the other site. So, my transition point will always go through zero.

I think you really need to sweep Vx on both sides to properly apply the Gummel symmetry test.

Quote:
I thought both are actually related? If my Id(Vds)!=Is(-Vds) then I'll failed the Gummel symmetry test, right?  

Yes, but in a previous post, it seemed that you were having a problem with Id(Vds) = Is(-Vds), never mind the derivatives.

Also, I don't think it's relevant yet, but may become so: the Gummel symmetry test as originally specified fails if diode junction currents or gate leakage currents are included.  Colin McAndrew put together a "modified Gummel symmetry test" starting on page 6 of this document:
http://www.eigroup.org/cmc/next_gen_cmos/phase3/freescale_ngsmm_evaluation_hisim...

337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2006, 5:14pm

Quote:
I think you really need to sweep Vx on both sides to properly apply the Gummel symmetry test.

Oh, sweep both sides, u mean simultenaously Vd-Vx and Vs+Vx ? If that is the case, i do sweep together.
Cause the way i formulate the current is basically reference to source. Therefore, the input will looks like:
vx=0..1.2
Vd=2vx;
Vg=vg-vx;
Vb=vx-vb;
where current are function of input voltages and width and length,
Id=f(Vd,Vg,Vb,W,L);
After which, i'll flip both the vx and Id(without the 1st point,which is vx=0) to plot for gummel symmetry test result.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2006, 10:06am

No, I meant that you need vx to go from -1 to +1.

You should have vb and vg fixed during the sweep (and run the test at several vg and several vb values).

VD should be +vx and VS should be -vx.

I think if you try to reference to source, you'll confuse the issues.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.