The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 3:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CML Modeling (Read 5261 times)
zeol

CML Modeling
May 29th, 2006, 6:26am

Hi,

Is it possible to model transistor-level current mode logic circuits with behavioral models (e.g., Verilog-A) for spectre's transient simulation?

thanks!

Regards,
S. Lim

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: CML Modeling
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2006, 4:00pm

zeol wrote on May 29th, 2006, 6:26am:
Hi,

Is it possible to model transistor-level current mode logic circuits with behavioral models (e.g., Verilog-A) for spectre's transient simulation?

thanks!

Regards,
S. Lim

Yes.

View Profile   IP Logged
zeol

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2006, 7:19am

Hi ACWong,

Could you give out a few pointers (e.g., references and/or books) on how i should go about modling the CML circuit. At the moment, I am trying to do it via Cadence's VSdE (a.k.a. Aptivia), but it is giving me trapezoid-like swing. I am interested in acurate modeling of all the harmonic tones, plus over/undershoots, as well as the input/output impedances.

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2006, 9:23am

There is a very good source of sample verilogA code on this website!

http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/index.html

Also available are the models built into cadence installation path.

$Installation_root/tools/dfII/samples/artist/ahdlLib
$Installation_root/tools/dfII/samples/artist/rfLib

Usually one approaches the verilogA design from a behavioural viewpoint first, before adding inaccuarcies. So assuming that your CML circuit is actually behaving say as a frequency divider, one would start by coding the frequency divider nature, before adding limiting effects of finite input/output impedance/drive ability, distortion etc.

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:44am

Unfortunately none of those are going to do what you need.

what I find works well for Functional analysis is to model the output stage resistors, as resistors, and to control the current thru them from the behavior of the model..
but Generally speaking I use integer code (at least in Verilog-A) to model the function of the gate..
so while one can get decent accuracy of the transistion rise time etc from resistor and any line capacitance,
to talk of "harmonics" with "CML gates" doesn't work well, the gate will have a delay, and so you may get some harmonics thru multiple gates connected to the same power, or sharing a common bias node.. (signal to bias coupling I usually ignore..) But the gate itself cannot generate any, as it cant change state until the inputs cross a threshold..

For high speed functional checks I use Verilog-AMS, and am writing a paper on this very topic for the next BMAS conference. www.bmas-conf.org..
Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.