The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 10:08am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GBW and UGF (Read 82 times)
taofeng

Belgium
GBW and UGF
Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:07am

are they the same in value ?

can anyone make it clear for me ?

thanks a lot

View Profile   IP Logged
Jerome

Toulouse, France
Re:  GBW and UGF
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:06pm

Hello,

In general GBW=UGF. It is true for a system with a dominant pole and all other poles and zeros located well beyond GBW (or UGF). For example, it is the case for a simple Miller opamp (with PM>60deg).
If you have poles and zeros within the GBW, then the relation GBW=UGF does not hold.

I hope this helps, Jerome.

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2006, 6:04pm

Jerome wrote on Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:06pm:
  Hello,

In general GBW=UGF. It is true for a system with a dominant pole and all other poles and zeros located well beyond GBW (or UGF). For example, it is the case for a simple Miller opamp (with PM>60deg).
If you have poles and zeros within the GBW, then the relation GBW=UGF does not hold.

I hope this helps, Jerome.

Yes, for a single pole Adc*f3dB=unity_gain*funity.  This is true because a 20 dB/dec decrease means the gain is going down 10x for every 10x increase in frequency.  So, a DC gain of 100 and pole at 10 Hz gives GBW=1000 and it also gives a gain of 1 at 1000 Hz, so UGF=1000.

View Profile   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2006, 1:23am

Hello,

This question has confused me once before, because as I tried to calculate the GBW as a UGF from the AC analysis and then compare it to calculator output from the GBW product function I found that the results were different .  As I read in the calculator manual it calculates the GBW product as the product of the DC gain and the first pole frequency  and I was using the 0dB intersection with the gain curve.

What to be noticed that although the PM is above the 45 degrees but its effect on the gain curve starts taking place at a frequency decade before, and it makes the curve bends with additional 20dB/decade and so it will intersect with the 0dB earlier than what expected, this makes the unity gain frequency in most of the times smaller than the  gain bandwidth product.

So inorder to make them equal the second pole should come at least one decade after the GBW product (PM>=90 degree), so that to ensure that the gain slope was constant at -20dB/decade till it intersects the 0dB level.

Best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.