The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 2:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
digital isolation using Pulse transformer (Read 5112 times)
Lanzones

Gold Coast, Australia
digital isolation using Pulse transformer
Sep 06th, 2006, 7:30pm

I would like to design a isolation transformer that have 0.5mm physical separation between
areas of windings. This is to comply design to astringent mining safety certification. This will work much more like a digital isolator with
LVDS signal @100MHz as an input. load current will be around ~3.3V/25ohms and the DC offset is around 1.5~2V. Could you help me decide on the right ferrite core and specify what type best way to goaround this even the selection of the wire sizes.
I have tried seen icoupler from analog devices and the ISO from texas instrument but the separation between isolation is <<0.5mm. I ahve also tried using ehternet transformer with 10/100Mbps application but the separation between the primary winding and sencondary have no official document.

Hope you could help me with this... Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: digital isolation using Pulse transformer
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2006, 8:54am

Have you looked into developing a model for this using Sonnet or another electromagnetic model tool? You can at least get a the EM properties there and put an approximate model into a time domain simulator.

Also, a minor comment - sending digital signals with lots of harmonic content through a transformer results in some "interesting" phase responses, that tear apart the digital characteristics of the input signal.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lanzones

Gold Coast, Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2006, 2:56pm

could you suggest a magnetic sim tool that I can use? I would be glad to know the materials they use for 10/100Mbps ethernet isolation transformer. Thanks...

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2006, 11:31pm

Sonnet if you are willing to pay the price. ASITIC if you want a freebie (google it, it is available as a UC Berkley download.)  There are others from AWR, AnSoft and others.

The results you get there constitute a model, that then needs to be put into a SPICE type simulation tool.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lanzones

Gold Coast, Australia
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2006, 3:35am

Thanks LE... this forum is great... hope you could give me more view on my next post...

Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.