The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XAUI/CEI standard PLL 3dB bandwidth (Read 4502 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

XAUI/CEI standard PLL 3dB bandwidth
Nov 20th, 2007, 6:11am

For serial link, a lot of specifications specify PLL bandwidth, such as PCIE.

However, for xaui and cei, there is no such spec. Does it means people can do anything they want?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: XAUI/CEI standard PLL 3dB bandwidth
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2008, 1:30am

Hi neoflash,

Is that the PLL for transmitter or receiver?

I remember that the jitter tolorence is defined in the XAUI spec, from which the PLL bandwidth can be derived. Please refer the IEEE 802 standard for the physical layer of XAUI.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2008, 2:28am

ywguo wrote on Jan 14th, 2008, 1:30am:
Hi neoflash,

Is that the PLL for transmitter or receiver?

I remember that the jitter tolorence is defined in the XAUI spec, from which the PLL bandwidth can be derived. Please refer the IEEE 802 standard for the physical layer of XAUI.

Yawei

Yes, rx bandwidth can be infered. What about TX?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008, 12:38am

Hi neoflash,

The jitter tolerance is implicitly or explicitly defined the standard. Sure the jitter generation should be smaller than the jitter tolerance to ensure the proper data transmission. So it defined the TX PLL bandwidth implicitly.

Another method is to reduce the total jitter to meet the eye-diagram mask. However, I am not clear the relation between the bandwidth and the total jitter. That is quite complex. Perhaps the random jitter (rms jitter) can be deduced from the integral phase noise, which strongly depends on the TX PLL bandwidth. However, periodic jitter, ISI, and duty cycle distortion add to the total jitter. Those factors are independent of TX PLL bandwidth.

I hope the reply is helpful.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.