The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 16th, 2024, 5:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The high temperature spice model (Read 592 times)
dandelion
Community Member

The high temperature spice model
Mar 19th, 2008, 7:36pm

Hi,
I am designing a circuit which contains a overheat block. The detection thershold is 160'C and if the 160'C is reached, the block will be shutdown.

But I checked the spice model and found the model is only for -40'C-125'C. These is no model descriptions above 125'C. Communicated with the Foundry, they said the above 125 model is not measured.

But for the overheat sub-block, i must simulated it wit 160'C. I wonder is there any risks in it? The actural silicon will be much descranpancy from the design?

Pls. share with your experienc.
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: The high temperature spice model
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2008, 6:22am

I'd suggest you do some plots of all the currents and capacitances as you step the temperature from 100 to 200 in 10-degree steps.  Make sure they look reasonable.

Some models have linear temperature effects, and you might find that eg VSAT becomes negative at 190 degrees, which would be a strong indication that you won't get the right answer at 160.  BSIM4 has VSAT_T = VSAT - AT * (T/Tref - 1);

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: The high temperature spice model
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2008, 7:10am

Certainly leakage currents will be a headache if not properly modeled. Usually, somewhere between 110 to 130C is where the leakage currents tend to play a role in the total error you get for several analog circuits.
I usually simulate up to 165C and at such temperature a common concern is balancing leakage currents in precision analog circuits.

You might want to consider this too.

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.