The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 9:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wafer probe transistor characterization (Read 3722 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

wafer probe transistor characterization
Oct 07th, 2008, 9:01pm

Hi all,

I intend to do a little characterization of some of the transistors in my PDK and i'm wondering how i should setup the experiment. Basically I want to fabricate a few devices and measure fT, gm/IDS, early voltage...so i figure i should simply use to the transistor with one GSG pad connected to the gate, and one GSG pad connected to the drain. The source will be connected to one of the G pads. I this setup ok? Also any recommendations?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: wafer probe transistor characterization
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2008, 2:41am

Hi,
I'm not a process expert but recently I had the same discussion about device characterization with a professor, the question rise if you want just a few measurements or try to obtain a full model. He recommended the use of IC-CAP and warned me against to make the try just for trying since it's a complex field(there are companies that do this job for some foundries). If you wanna make just DC characterization it's "easy" but if you go to high frequency characterization the parasitics of the fixture must be deembeded so it's not just two GSG probes connected to the transistor. The basic measurements are DC,CV,S-Parameters(RF) and Noise, it depends on how complete characterization you need the complexity grows.
A  reference I have at hand:http://www.admos.de/uploads/media/MWEE-P2028.pdf, also I remember that Agilent has it's knowledge center for IC-CAP.
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2008, 9:04pm

Hi didac,

thanks once again for your help. I have IC-CAP available to me so i guess i'll ask around about how to go about this.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2008, 1:13am

Hi,
glad it helped a little bit, if you have IC-CAP the good news is that you will be able to control the measurements with it and generate a compact model from the measurements(BSIM,EKV,PSP...) ready(or almost) to use in the simulator.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.