The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BSIM4 model Parameter llpe0 (Read 6418 times)
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
BSIM4 model Parameter llpe0
Apr 05th, 2009, 4:28am

I have four corner moel file given by foundry for 90nm technology.  This model file has BSIM4 models of MOSFETs. There is a parameter llpe0 in this model file. I want to know what is the physical significance of this parameter ? This parameter indeed affects dc response of a MOSFET. I could not find any parameter like llpe0 in BSIM4 manual .

Does anybody know what is physical significance of llpe0 ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: BSIM4 model Parameter llpe0
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009, 2:10am

If using spectre, you can use "spectre -h bsim4" and then you'll see:

Quote:
536     llpe0=0.0         Length dependence of lpe0.

And also:

Quote:
73      lpe0=1.74e-7 m    Lateral non-uniform doping at Vbs=0.

I think you should find lpe0 in the bsim4 documentation though?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2009, 2:50am

Yes lpe0 is there in BSIM4 model. If I want to perform montecarlo simulations and don't have foundary specific model file, should I vary llpe0 and lpe0 both ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2009, 4:56am

No, don't vary llpe0.  llpe0 is a hack that, when used properly, can help connect lmin/lmax bins such that the final lpe0 value is continuous across bin boundaries.

However, I also don't think that most people vary lpe0, either -- only things like TOX, VFB, DL, DW.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:06am

Thanks for the reply,
I have also seen people varying only tox, VFB, dL and dW only.  However lpe0 being halo doping coefficient. Shouldn't  we vary lpe0 for Montecarlo simulations ? Montecarlo simulation files supplied by foundary include variation in which all parameters ?  

Thanks
CA

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2009, 4:58am

I think that VFB is an "average" flatband voltage, which includes the effect of pocket implant.  I would expect lpe0 variation to be a second-order effect (how much does the channel doping differ from the pocket).

Probably most foundries use the basic four; I think I've heard of some that used VTH instead of VFB, but maybe there's a paper saying why this is wrong (correlation of TOX and VTH).  Certainly, you could set up a MC sim varying each and every parameter in the BSIM4 model set, but you'd have to run lots more sims and accept the memory penalty (each device has a different value of *each* parameter).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.