The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 2:45am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
voltage limited current source (Read 1329 times)
danmc
Community Member

Boston
voltage limited current source
Aug 17th, 2011, 6:29am

Sometimes it is useful to have a verilog-a or AMS model for something like a bias current generator but in those cases it is also good to provide voltage limiting.  Is there a simple way to do this in Verilog-A or Verilog-AMS?  The issue is that without voltage limiting, the current sources will simply force the current no matter what and sometimes that is really not what the rest of the circuit wants!  

In the past I have done some stuff in spectre with hanging additional controlled sources that have limiting on my output node.  

Thanks
-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: voltage limited current source
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2011, 12:39pm

Danmc,

you can do something like Code:
if (V(ibias, vss) > 1)
   I(ibias, vss) <+ CurrentValue;
else
   I(ibias, vss) <+ 0; 

However, for better convergence you should avoid the discontinuity of the current and use a soft transition.

B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
danmc
Community Member

Boston
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2011, 1:17pm

you mean use something like like a tanh function instead of hard compare?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2011, 3:46pm

I don't recommend following BOE's suggestion. That is a recipe for convergence problems. I have seen two approaches to this problem that works well. One is to carefully model current/voltage limiting. You can use http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/functional-blocks/regulator/regulator.... as a model. Alternately, you can model a two terminal clamp that you place in parallel with the current source. It would have infinite impedance within the compliance range of the current source, but then would look like a small resistor outside that range. It would be designed so that the IV characteristics were piecewise continuous.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2011, 3:25am

danmc wrote on Aug 17th, 2011, 1:17pm:
you mean use something like like a tanh function instead of hard compare?
Yes; and that seems to work quite well, too.
B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
danmc
Community Member

Boston
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2011, 8:36am

Ken Kundert wrote on Aug 17th, 2011, 3:46pm:
I don't recommend following BOE's suggestion. That is a recipe for convergence problems. I have seen two approaches to this problem that works well. One is to carefully model current/voltage limiting. You can use http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/functional-blocks/regulator/regulator.... as a model. Alternately, you can model a two terminal clamp that you place in parallel with the current source. It would have infinite impedance within the compliance range of the current source, but then would look like a small resistor outside that range. It would be designed so that the IV characteristics were piecewise continuous.

-Ken

Thanks Ken.  I read those 2 pages from your book (which was only about arms length away) and implemented 2 boundaries instead of 1 and it seems to work like a champ.

Thanks again.

-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.