The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:59am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
questions about extract layout with calibre (Read 5063 times)
easyads

questions about extract layout with calibre
Aug 03rd, 2012, 4:46am

Hi
  I use calibre 2007 to extract layout. The layout is under tsmc 0.18um process.
But I found there is some problem. Assuming that there is a mimcap between A and B. After the extraction, the mimcap between A and B is extracted out. But also another pararistic capacitor whose value is about equal to the value of mimcap is extracted between A and B . So the capactior is about doubled for mimcap after extraction.  
  How can I solve this problem? Should I change the setup of calibre or change the version of value? Should I change the command file of extration?
  Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Re: questions about extract layout with calibre
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2012, 5:37pm

To avoid extracting parasitics (R, C) that are accounted for in compact (SPICE) models, parasitic extraction tools are doing "device blocking" - i.e. de-embedding devices, or ignoring parasitic elements associated with "intrinsic" device properties.

If device blocking is not defined properly in the extraction rule deck - bad things can happen, for example - capacitance of MIM or MOM capacitor will be counted twice (1. in parasitic extraction and 2. in compact model).

That being said - most likely Calibre extraction rule deck is not including MIM capacitor layers in its stack, and thus is not extracting plate-to-plate capacitance - please check your Calibre deck...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.