The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:03am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADC ENOB, SFDR, SNDR (Read 4610 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

ADC ENOB, SFDR, SNDR
Jan 13th, 2014, 12:33am

Hi all,

I have been reading up on SAR ADCs, and typically the poorer among SFDR and SNDR is used to calculate ENOB. My understanding is that for high-resolution ADCs, linearity can be a bottle-neck. For a SAR ADC for example, the matching in the capacitor array needs to meet ENOB requirements.

Anyway, I noticed that several papers I've looked at show significantly better SFDR than SNDR. For example, a paper I just read has SFDR 72 dB and SNDR 54 dB. I'm wondering if this trend is normal, because that makes it seems like noise is the bottleneck, not linearity. One more thing, since most of these works only characterize one or two chips, do you think there are a whole bunch of un-characterized chips out there with poor SFDR?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: ADC ENOB, SFDR, SNDR
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2014, 6:06am

Aaron,

Why is it surprising that SFDR is better than SNDR?

SNDR = Signal/(Noise + All harmonics) = Signal/(Everything not Signal)

SFDR = Signal/(largest non-signal tone in spectrum)

So, the SFDR only looks at one part of the overall error that SNDR is accounting for. I suspect that you are mistaking SNR for SNDR.

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: ADC ENOB, SFDR, SNDR
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2014, 7:03am

Yep you're right. thanks!

I will need to go back and look at those papers, because -72 dB is a lot lower than -54 dB. So unless the sum of all those tones is much largest than the largest tone, its still noise limited...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.