The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 5:52am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
S11 and Z11 problem for input impedance matching (Read 7113 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: S11 and Z11 problem for input impedance matching
Reply #15 - Mar 11th, 2014, 9:46pm

Hi baab,

before looking any further, why don't you first verify that S12 is indeed very good. For example, S12*S21 should be better than -10 dB.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2014, 12:00am

Hi, Aaron.

Here are S-parameters for the circuit after adding output matching network:

S11 = -99.19 dB
S12 = -35.86 dB
S21 = 23 dB
S22 = -12.43dB

I think S12 is good here. There is only one problem is S22. It is not really good.

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2014, 2:16am

Hi, Aaron.
I followed your advice, do the input/output matching iteratively.  Now I got S11, S22, S12 and S21 fairly good.
I need to replace all ideal components with practical ones in TSMC and use band pass filter for output matching.
Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2014, 2:17am

Hi baab,

so after improving S22 further, S11 degrades down to -2 dB? That sounds quite odd. Seems like I've missed something. I'll think about it, but let me know if you figure it out...

BTW, I assume you are checking the same frequency every time. Also, -12 dB isn't bad...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2014, 2:46am

Good to hear! But after looking again at one of your previous posts, you mentioned that after adding an output matching network, S11 improved from -7.6 dB to -99 dB. Is that just a typo and you meant after adding an input matching network? Or did you accidentally switch the ports...  :P

Anyway since you got it working, don't worry about it...

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2014, 3:08am

aaron_do wrote on Mar 12th, 2014, 2:46am:
Good to hear! But after looking again at one of your previous posts, you mentioned that after adding an output matching network, S11 improved from -7.6 dB to -99 dB. Is that just a typo and you meant after adding an input matching network? Or did you accidentally switch the ports...  :P

Anyway since you got it working, don't worry about it...

Aaron

Hi, Aaron.

I intended to mention it before but didn't.
I did input/output matching as follows.
1. Do output matching first.
After this I got really good S22. I don't remember now but it is very small.
2. Do the input matching by choosing the appropriate values of Ls and Lg.
After this I got a very good S11, it is about -99dB. However, S22 now degraded.

Now, input matching is really good while output one is not so good.
When I wrote that post, I used this circuit along with all values calculated above.
I remeasured S parameters like this:
Before adding output matching network:
I removed the output matching and measure S parameters.
After adding output matching network:
I recovered the output matching calculated previously and measured S parameters.
That explained why S11 is good after adding output network.
I think the replacement of TSMC components will cause many changes and I need to optimize again.
By the way, I just measure the power consumption. It is about 8mW. Do you think it is too large?
I am thinking about reducing it by lowering bias voltage Vgs.  I choosed Vgs = 0.6V.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2014, 5:01am

Hi baab,

you need to adjust the power consumption based on your noise and linearity requirements. If you are well above specs then consider reducing the power consumption. Whether 8mA is high or not depends on your application.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2014, 7:31pm

Hi, Aaron.

I replaced ideal components by the real ones. With Ls and Lg TSMC components, there is no significant change in S11 and S22. However, I am struggling with the inductor in series with bias voltage Vgs. It is 1H. But as you said, it is impossible to do it in TSMC.
I tried to do replace it by an inductor in TSMC with the same inductance. The result is that S11 and S22 changed completely. It is almost unacceptable. S11 is about 0dB while S22 is -6dB.
I hope you could help me out.

I just replaced it by a resistor 10K and the S11 and S22 are good at the orignal. However, resistor 10K is also impossible.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2014, 8:29pm

Hi baab,

a 10kohm resistor is easy to implement. You can use the real on in your PDK.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #24 - Mar 13th, 2014, 2:00am

Hi Aaron.

I am glad that we can use the 10K resistor.
However, I am having a problem with the inductor at the output (the one in parallel with 1K resistor). I tried to replace it by an inductor TSMC with the same inductance 1H. However, the results are terrible. NF increased significantly from 1dB to 15dB. S11, S12 degraded to about -2 or -3 dB.
I am wondering why 1H inductor TSMC 0.13um and 1H ideal inductor from AnalogLib can cause a great difference like that.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #25 - Mar 13th, 2014, 4:53am

Hi baab,

1H is impossible to implement. You need to re-design your matching network. The easiest way to do it is to use one shunt inductor and one series capacitor. The shunt inductor will replace the 1 H inductor.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #26 - Mar 13th, 2014, 7:29pm

Hi, Aaron.

I think that will change almost completely my components values.

Now. I'd like to ask some questions before making any changes.

1. In the circuit posted above, there is a resistor 1K in parallel with an ideal inductor 1H at the drain of cascode transistor.
As you said before, the resistor is a parasitic component of the inductor not actually a separated resistor itself.
I am wondering why don't we put a high resistor at drain to get a very high voltage gain.
Av = gm* Rd => If we put a high Rd, for example, 10K, then the voltage gain or S21 will be very large.
As I know, if we use Rd from parasitic component, it won't be as large as the separated one.

2. Is 1F capacitance implementable in TSMC 0,13um?
If not, then I also need to replace all input/output coupling capacitors with the real ones.
And, for example, because 1F capacitor doesn't exist. I will have to use capacitors of much smaller capacitance.
Therefore, these coupling capacitors will affect significantly to the input/output matching networks. I will have to take them into account.
They are part of input/output matching networks.
3. In my case fc is about 1.5GHz and bandwidth = 20MHz. I am considering about bandpass matching network at the output.
I attached my schematic below. Could you confirm if this is right?
Thanks.

LNA_2.png
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #27 - Mar 13th, 2014, 8:47pm

Hi baab,

yes you will need to completely change your component values.

1. You can use a resistor, but the value of the resistor will be constrained by the DC drop across it. You will save some space using a resistor, but the performance will probably be better using an inductor.

2. 1 F is also no implementable. Anything more than a few pF is starting to get large. The reason I recommend that you use a shunt inductor followed by a series cap is that these components can be used to replace your ideal ones.

3. For an LNA there is usually no need to constrain the bandwidth. Just make it as wide as is convenient. In fact, if your system bandwidth is 20 MHz, your LNA bandwidth should be much wider to account for modeling errors or PVT. The network I suggested above is a high-pass network. It is the easiest network to implement. Usually the reason you would use more than one inductor/capacitor in your network would be to widen the bandwidth of the matching network, but for a narrowband system it probably isn't necessary.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #28 - Mar 14th, 2014, 7:04pm

Hi, Aaron.
Now, I don't know where to start. The ideal case seems much simpler. I think first, we need to choose the width of transistors to get noise matching. However, with this practical case, the inductors and capacitors also include internal resistance and they affects significantly to optimum noise impedance. The problem is that I can't know in advance these internal resistance and can't simulate to get NFmin.

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #29 - Mar 17th, 2014, 2:24am

Hi,

Quote:
1. You can use a resistor, but the value of the resistor will be constrained by the DC drop across it. You will save some space using a resistor, but the performance will probably be better using an inductor.

How about using a 1K resistor in parallel with an inductor from TSMC 0.13um?
And then there is also no DC drop and in the same time we can increase voltage gain as the equivalent total resistance at the drain increases.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.