The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 1:51pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BGR PSRR (Read 3265 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: BGR PSRR
Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2014, 7:38am

I still haven't had a chance to look in depth at this - it could be a great idea - but wouldn't you get the same effect if you used a PMOS output stage with Miller compensation driving M2 and M3? (Or better, from the gate of M2/M3 to Vdd) Perhaps with an LDO you would be load compensated.

View Profile   IP Logged
analog_rf

Universe
Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2014, 8:59am

As mentioned already ,haven't used this in case of Bandgap. For BG PSRR i would prefer using a Folded cascode dominant pole compensated and also add small load cap of maybe 10pf at output will give good psrr no's @ac.

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2014, 11:11am by analog_rf »  
View Profile   IP Logged
analog_rf

Universe
Reply #17 - Sep 15th, 2014, 9:14am

RobG wrote on Sep 15th, 2014, 7:38am:
I still haven't had a chance to look in depth at this - it could be a great idea - but wouldn't you get the same effect if you used a PMOS output stage with Miller compensation driving M2 and M3? (Or better, from the gate of M2/M3 to Vdd) Perhaps with an LDO you would be load compensated.

Miller would be a killer for ac PSRR, since dominant pole would be internal and adding more cap would cause the internal pole to be pushed  further inside for stb(you could still use cap to supply,but will not be better than fc opamp).

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #18 - Sep 15th, 2014, 2:16pm

analog_rf wrote on Sep 15th, 2014, 9:14am:
Miller would be a killer for ac PSRR, since dominant pole would be internal and adding more cap would cause the internal pole to be pushed  further inside for stb(you could still use cap to supply,but will not be better than fc opamp).

Miller is what they are using now, except they are using an NMOS mirror so it is referenced to the bottom rail which will make PSRR bad because the output device is basically diode connected at AC. That is why I as thinking the shielding of the Miller "diode" from the gate of M2/M3 was the real advantage.

The weather is too nice for me to do the math right now Smiley.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #19 - Sep 16th, 2014, 3:58pm

generally your dominant pole in the control loop is going to be the output capacitor on the bandgap voltage. it may not seem elegant to some but its worked pretty well for many years, and if the output drive is high impedance (not a source follower) it generally will not be terribly big in size.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.