The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 9:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Connecting analog power domains in the same chip in ICs (Integrated Circuits) (Read 1054 times)
Tako
Community Member

Connecting analog power domains in the same chip in ICs (Integrated Circuits)
Nov 03rd, 2014, 7:42am

I have a following issue, which I didn't see in IC books: I would like to know if it is possible to send analog signals (sin waves) between two power domains in an integrated circuit. The issue looks as at the picture.

I have never had a problem with sending digital signals between two different power domains as it is done through level shifters / level converters. However, I never thought about sending analog signals between two power domains. Is it done using protection diodes as at the picture?

Of course, signal send from 3.3 V domain is limited to 2.5 V. This sinusoidal 3.3 Vpp emphasizes that signal is send from 3.3 V domain to 2.5 V domain and that maximum signal that can appear on the line is 3.3 Vpp.  

case3.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Re: Connecting analog power domains in the same chip in ICs (Integrated Circuits)
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2014, 8:14am

Oh my goodness . . . I had an eclipse of the mind at the end of a work day . . . Of course I can connect two power domains using capacitor + voltage divider. See the picture.

case4.png
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Connecting analog power domains in the same chip in ICs (Integrated Circuits)
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2014, 5:03pm

common strategy -

1 convert signal to a differential current (think diff pair)

2 take the differential current and terminate the two currents in a pair of resistors (or active loads) connected to the new power supply rails,

3 receive the new signal into a differential receiver

done

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2014, 8:38am

loose-electron wrote on Nov 3rd, 2014, 5:03pm:
common strategy -

1 convert signal to a differential current (think diff pair)

2 take the differential current and terminate the two currents in a pair of resistors (or active loads) connected to the new power supply rails,

3 receive the new signal into a differential receiver

done

Right. Good idea. A differential pair constructed with transistors from 3.3 V domain with resistors connected to 2.5 V domain.

Thanks!  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2014, 9:02am

As an example of sending an analog signal between two different power domains see Fig. 32 and Fig. 49 here: [link](http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/afe031.pdf) . The input signal of the PGA1 is 10Vpp while the PGA2 can support input signal equal to its power domain that is 3.3 V. these two PGAs are connected through low-pass filter LPF and capacitor (C10 in Fig. 49).

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2014, 1:53pm

Hi Toko,
As jerry pointed out, diff pair based concept is common idea. Think of a serial IO transmitter is communicating with receiver from different vendor.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.