The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:53am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to find out the BW of a dynamic latch, such as strong arm latch? (Read 48 times)
Frank_Heart

How to find out the BW of a dynamic latch, such as strong arm latch?
Nov 17th, 2017, 10:22am

Hi, Everyone,

If there is no pre-amp, just a dynamic latch, such as strong arm lath, in the CMP design, how we calculate its BW?

Thanks
Frank

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Re: How to find out the BW of a dynamic latch, such as strong arm latch?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2017, 7:33pm

I usually just sim it with the worst case corner.

Otherwise, this is what I would try.

1) Pick smallest input amplitude
2) Find output time constant (need to spec and output load). The time constant will be gm/Cl or gm/(2*Cl) depending on how you want to calculate the output gms.
3) Find number of time constants needed to amplify input to a "valid" output". For example maybe when the differential output voltage is > 0.6 Vdd.
4) BW =  1/number of tau constants

This would be a rough approximation as the strongarm input transistors go through a saturation to linear mode. For very small inputs, I think you might need to break the amplification time into 2 parts, a linear and a positive feedback portion.

Note: You should just sim it with parasitics. And I've never tried the method I described.

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2017, 9:18am by DanielLam »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti-2

Re: How to find out the BW of a dynamic latch, such as strong arm latch?
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2017, 4:30am

Why do you want to calculate a bandwidth?
I suggest to just consider and specify the delay of your latch (for the smallest input -> LSB/2).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.