The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to include a module in another module? (Read 1843 times)
liletian
Community Member

MD
how to include a module in another module?
Aug 09th, 2018, 10:10am

Hi all

I wrote the following code (comparator.v and test_module.v), test_module is fairly simple. It just try to include comparator.v.

However, when I try to compile the test_module.v, it reports the following errors. Can anyone help on the issue? Basically I am trying to include sub module using command "include", but I seems to have trouble on it.

Thank you very much.

ncverilog(64): 15.20-s022: (c) Copyright 1995-2017 Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
file: test_module.v
module comparator(stag,ptag,tag_equal);
    |
ncvlog: *E,EXPENM (comparator.v,1|5): expecting the keyword 'endmodule' [12.1(IEEE)].
(`include file: comparator.v line 1, file: test_module.v line 2)
       module worklib.test_module:v
               errors: 1, warnings: 0
endmodule // test_module
       |
ncvlog: *E,EXPMPA (test_module.v,3|8): expecting the keyword 'module', 'macromodule' or 'primitive'[A.1].
       Total errors/warnings found outside modules and primitives:
               errors: 1, warnings: 0
ncverilog: *E,VLGERR: An error occurred during parsing.  Review the log file for errors with the code *E and fix those identified problems to proceed.  Exiting with code (status 1).

test_module.v

module test_module();
`include "comparator.v"
endmodule // test_module

comparator.v

module comparator(stag,ptag,tag_equal);
  parameter n=16;
  input [n-1:0] stag,ptag;

output        tag_equal;

reg           tag_equal;

integer       i;

//   initial begin
//   tag_equal<=1'b1;
//   end

always @(stag or ptag)

tag_equal=!(stag^ptag);

endmodule

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: how to include a module in another module?
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2018, 4:50am

You cannot nest modules in the Verilog standard. The SystemVerilog standard does allow nesting of modules, but the Cadence simulators do not currently support this.

However, I rather doubt you need it. I'm not sure what benefit embedding the comparator within test_module brings  you, since the comparator is not instantiated within test_module. Even if it was instantiated, there's no need to include one file in the other - you can just pass all the files to the simulator and it will compile them all, and elaboration will take care of linking them all together.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.