The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectral Balance (Read 8191 times)
skippy

Spectral Balance
Oct 13th, 2003, 9:40pm

Tuinenga claims to have invented a means of extracting the large-signal frequency response of SPICE models, without using the FFT.  He calls it spectral balance to differentiate it from Harmonic Balance (HB), where HB uses fast Fourier transforms to generate the frequency domain models.  He wrote an article for the eetimes.  But does not share any details whatsoever.

http://www.eedesign.com/columns/eda/OEG20031009S0021

Sounds interesting.  Does anyone know anything more about this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Spectral Balance
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2003, 7:17am

Just guessing, but it might be a method similar to the one described in http://www.cadenceusers.org/cgi-bin/viewArchAbstract.cgi?abstractName=PaulW.Tuin... (maybe Ken or Andrew can give us some more details about this paper). To me, it looks like he found a way to extract such a model automatically and then use this model (some kind of frequency domain representation) in the simulation. The article http://www.eedesign.com/story/OEG20031010S0069 gives some background information about Tuinenga and his discovery.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
skippy

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2003, 10:45am

Very intriguing abstract.  Thank you for your quick response.  Is there a conference proceedings or slides available as well?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2003, 11:40am

It appears that proceedings do exist; however, I do not have them. Maybe Ken or Andrew can help us out here.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2003, 5:43pm

I do not have the proceedings, nor do I have Paul's email address. If someone could send me his address (don't post it), I could invite him to add his comments to this thread.

-Ken

Paul Tuinenga

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2003, 6:54pm

I would be delighted to e-mail the IEEE BMAS workshop version of the Cadence User Group paper.  Please note that I have already found both errors in the paper.

I have not coined the term "spectral balance" which is equivalent to the more common "harmonic balance" in overall approach and results.  The key differentiation seems to be whether the device models have an analytic representation in the frequency domain, e.g. the work done by P. J. Khan and M. B. Steer.

So what you see in the workshop paper is this idea expressed at a system block level -- work which definitely prepared me for what I discovered later, but please don't expect that a straight line extrapolation of what you read will lead you there.  I will be happy to field questions on the paper, but not about extracting analytic, frequency domain models from SPICE code (at least not in a public forum at this time).

IP Logged
Paul Tuinenga

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2003, 6:57pm

my e-mail:

tuinenga@alumni.caltech.edu

IP Logged
skippy

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2003, 9:44pm

Thanks Frank, Paul, and Ken.  I am really glad this site provides a forum for these topics.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2003, 1:47am

My pleasure. My thanks go out to Paul for sharing his ideas.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.