The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:42am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SpectreRF PLL design (Read 3265 times)
Dan

Pittsburgh PA
SpectreRF PLL design
Jan 15th, 2004, 3:08pm

I have a few general questions concerning the selection of analog simulation analyses for PLL design.  I have simulated my VCO, PFD, and Frequency divider blocks individually with transient and PSS analyses.  However, I run into problems when attempting to run a system level PSS analysis.  I assume this is due to the presence of the VCO which will produce frequencies that are non-integer multiples of the fundamental frequency.  Can PSS analysis be used to find the steady state input voltage to the VCO in a full PLL model?  Or is this value only determined through lengthy transient analyses?  I'm assuming that the phase and jitter noise of the system will be determined by performing PSS followed by Pnoise, etc. for the individual blocks and building a phase domain model based on the results (per Ken's paper).  Thanks,

Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Re: SpectreRF PLL design
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2004, 10:38pm

Ken addresses this topic in his paper. See section 1.2 - Direct Simulation. Basically, you can simulate the whole PLL with PSS if the PFD/CP does not have a deadzone and if the divide ratio is not too great. You just have to set tstab large enough so that it takes you to lock.

Jitter Man

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.