The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:42pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cgd modeling in bsim4 (Read 4153 times)
kanan

cgd modeling in bsim4
Mar 25th, 2009, 2:11am

Hi,
Is the gate-drain metal-poly fringing cap modeled in BSIM4? I am running calibre and it seems to be extracting that cap  and I am wondering whether this is a case of double counting?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: cgd modeling in bsim4
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2009, 5:43am

BSIM4 has parameters to model gate to drain overlap capacitance, as well as the CF parameter to model fringing capacitance -- but you have to check your model card for the mos device to see if the foundry zeroed those out with the expectation that you'd extract values -- note that CGDO and CF have computed defaults, so if they're not in the model file, you can still get a non-zero value.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kanan

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009, 2:01am

Thank you Geoffrey!
This query came from the fact that while designing a high speed VCO, the post-layout extraction is throwing up a lot of CC caps (Cdg, Cds). The values are of the order of 5fF which create enough trouble at that speed.
Now the transistors themselves are quite bare and I don't believe there is anything else in layout I can do to get rid of them.
I am not sure if these capacitances are real or a case of "double-counting" by calibre.

Any comments?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009, 6:11am

Your description makes it sound like the 5fF from Calibre is too much, which has nothing to do with possible double-counting.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.