The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 5:52am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
need help choosing op-amp config (Read 2995 times)
carporsche

need help choosing op-amp config
Oct 27th, 2009, 12:05am

Hi guyz

I am designing an ASIC CMOS op-amp for meeting following design specs in TSMC .35um tech.
1. open-loop gain : 65-70dB
2. Unity gain frequency : 500MHz
3. Phase Margin ~ 60 degrees
4. Need an internal compensation technique.
5. 2 V p-p ODR

Can someone suggest me a configuration to be used.
Can this be achieved by using a standard folded cascode technique followed by a class AB output stage?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: need help choosing op-amp config
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2009, 12:14am

hi,
   yes folded will give that, may be cascode also can work because i guess you are with 3.3 v supply and  2v DR you want.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
carporsche

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2009, 12:53am

Thanks a lot for your response . But can you suggest me any book or paper where i can actually build up a step-by-step procedure.
Actually the thing is that i have done quite a number of designs for the above specs. Phase margin never ever matches with what i design for.
But my hand calculations and simulated results are always way off.

I have tried designs from holberg, baker and martins

Can someone suggest me any other approach tht i need to take while designing op-amps.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2009, 1:53am

hi,
   i usually adjust many parameters manually, most of the times my UGB will be my control...but many times i got phase margin near to my calculations.could you please explain how you are estimating that? please use the following reference for good design strategy..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7g0wce

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2009, 2:03am

Hi,
    I guess if your supply is 3.3V , then you need nt go for class AB o/p stage...You need it only if you want rail-to-rail o/p....Also keep in mind the i/p CM level is decided by the o/p CM level of the ckt preceeding your opamp...I always prefer fully differential topologies coz you hv CMFB control in your hands... Normal FC will do..

As for your design methodology, USE GM/ID ---Gives me excellent results !!!
          i guess you are using first order hand calculations using standard eqns....Use GM/ID methodology & try to make your analysis a bit more exact by including sec effects eg :-- parasitics consider Cgd & cdb along with Cgs....
In GM/ID, obtain plots for different lengths,vgs,vds,vbs,corners....Use those values to design your OTA...Keep design eqns as exact as possible...Use help of some mathematical tool like mathcad, matlab etc....

Feel free to ask anything else you want......
regards,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2009, 6:10am

carporsche wrote on Oct 27th, 2009, 12:53am:
Thanks a lot for your response . But can you suggest me any book or paper where i can actually build up a step-by-step procedure.
Actually the thing is that i have done quite a number of designs for the above specs. Phase margin never ever matches with what i design for.
But my hand calculations and simulated results are always way off.

I have tried designs from holberg, baker and martins

Can someone suggest me any other approach tht i need to take while designing op-amps.

I suggest you will get a *lot* of improvement out of taking a past design and figuring out why your results differ from simulation. If you don't have a match there, you will not achieve your goals.

Steve Smith
Cadeka Microcircuits

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:08am

Hi both sos & carporsche,
                      As carporsche pointed out earlier, He was using hand calculations for design....Hand calculations, in which you mostly tend to include only 1st order effects, dont give accurate results...ex :-- parasitics like Cgd, Cdb which we generally tend to ignore in hand calcs to make maths easier affect the design a lot, say if you keep on increasing transistor size ignoring it's parasitic caps...

Trying to match your hand calculations with spectre results will require a lot of ckt tweaking....I would say avoid this spectre/spice monkeying...Go for Gm/Id methodology....if you want material, Just Google it, you will get many papers on it....and you will improve upon it as you go through a design following gm/id....

regards,
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2009, 8:02am

Mayank wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:08am:
Hi both sos & carporsche,
                      As carporsche pointed out earlier, He was using hand calculations for design....Hand calculations, in which you mostly tend to include only 1st order effects, dont give accurate results...ex :-- parasitics like Cgd, Cdb which we generally tend to ignore in hand calcs to make maths easier affect the design a lot, say if you keep on increasing transistor size ignoring it's parasitic caps...

Trying to match your hand calculations with spectre results will require a lot of ckt tweaking....I would say avoid this spectre/spice monkeying...Go for Gm/Id methodology....if you want material, Just Google it, you will get many papers on it....and you will improve upon it as you go through a design following gm/id....

regards,
mayank.

I read it differently (maybe I'm wrong). I thought carporsche was saying that both hand calculation and sims were way off, I assumed that what was meant was neither matched silicon. I agree that hand calcs and sim with detailed models will be quite different from each other, especially at 500MHz.

Now I haven't used gm/id, but I'd be very surprised at any method that gives good results at 500MHz without detailed (and, of course, accurate) models.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2009, 10:01am

Hi sos,
          Gm-by-Id is a graphical design technique which is based on technology plots of figures-of-merit simulated from a single MOSFET...That's why it gives you accurate results, provided your analysis is decent..You may take help of some mathematical tool like mathcad/matlab...I wish i had some material to share...Google it, surely you will find something on it....

--Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
carporsche

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2009, 2:06pm

Hi all

I was doing a lot of reading on gm/id based design methodology after  people suggested i use it. And frankly speaking its pretty intuitive and for the simple circuits i do achieve the required design specifications.

Will be implementing my final design on this and hopefully get the desired results.

Have uploaded a couple of documents which may be useful for reference.

Thanks all!

View Profile   IP Logged
carporsche

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2009, 2:09pm

here's another file. i couldnt upload 2 files in the same post  .

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2009, 6:47am

Mayank wrote on Nov 4th, 2009, 10:01am:
Hi sos,
          Gm-by-Id is a graphical design technique which is based on technology plots of figures-of-merit simulated from a single MOSFET...That's why it gives you accurate results, provided your analysis is decent..You may take help of some mathematical tool like mathcad/matlab...I wish i had some material to share...Google it, surely you will find something on it....

--Mayank.

This sort of approach can be great for amplifiers with only a few transistors in them, but I don't see it being very useful in designing a 500MHz op amp.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2009, 11:16am

Hii Steve,
                  My experience says gm/id graphical design methodology works best for even the most complicated design...I myself have done it for many operational amplifier topologies, ranging from a simple CS stage, normal 2-stage rz-cc compensated OTA, to more complex designs like class AB Folded Cascode opamp design, rail-to-rail i/p topologies, DAC current cells, current mirrors, bias ckts.....

Gm/Id is by far the best design methodology i have come across....It requires analysis....but you can use tools like matlab/mathcad....But atleast you are sure you are designing the best point & that wotever you design will match with your simulations....

What methodology do you have in mind ?

--Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2009, 6:29am

Mayank wrote on Nov 10th, 2009, 11:16am:
Hii Steve,
                  My experience says gm/id graphical design methodology works best for even the most complicated design...I myself have done it for many operational amplifier topologies, ranging from a simple CS stage, normal 2-stage rz-cc compensated OTA, to more complex designs like class AB Folded Cascode opamp design, rail-to-rail i/p topologies, DAC current cells, current mirrors, bias ckts.....

Gm/Id is by far the best design methodology i have come across....It requires analysis....but you can use tools like matlab/mathcad....But atleast you are sure you are designing the best point & that wotever you design will match with your simulations....

What methodology do you have in mind ?

--Mayank

Well, I haven't tried gm/id myself. It just seems improbable that simple models will give adequate results at 500MHz. I don't have any problem with the idea at lower frequencies, say <10MHz.

I use fully detailed transistor models with Spectre analog simulation. I've certainly found cases where the models failed miserably, usually due to poor assumptions on the foundry's part, a few my fault. It takes a lot of simulation, and the first few chips with a foundry have a lot of risk, not knowing how good the models are. The models need to be good, so do the corner cases.

My designs are amplifiers and similar analog in the 1-1000MHz closed loop bandwidth range. Most of my experience (80%?) is bipolar.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2009, 7:54am

Hi Steve,
              I fully agree with all the point that you just said....But seems like you didnt catch the methodology correctly....It uses the very same models that we use in simulations....I will explain.

Gm/Id Methodology used Figures of Merits of a transistor, (roughly defining as the characterstics that are independent of MOSFET size). Steps involved in gm/id methodology --->

1.  Simulate a single transistor (of certain width,not too small not too big say 1u in a 65nm Process) in spectre/spice...iterate and Store the DC operating point info (like ids,gm/id,id/w,gm/gds,etc...) for  different Lengths, different corners of P & T, against full sweeps of vgs, vds, vbs and so on.....
NOTE:-- This step gives you the transistor conditions directly from simulation, So if you a transistor happens to be in any ckt under those operating conditions, it will behave exactly the same as you simulated.

2.  Formulate a mathematical model of your ckt, by writing KVL,KCLs at different nodes, taking into acc. as many parasitics as you can...Mathematical Tools come in handy here....

3.  Optimize using mathematical tools & arrive at the best design point..Translate that point into Schematic/Spectre and get the simulation results...

For me, It matched with the simulations quite accurately for designs with UGB ~ 400MHz.....Never went upto GHz range of UGBs...

--Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.