The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 8:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VerilogA random DC value (Read 351 times)
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
VerilogA random DC value
Sep 08th, 2023, 7:03am

Is there any way to generate random values with VerilogA for a SPECTRE's DC analysis?
The $random function is evaluated at every timestep. It gives a good random number during a transient analysis, but its values for DC and t=0 in transient is always the same.

In general I am curious whether something like is possible to achieve with VerilogA, because it was a surprise to me, that I found no solution.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: VerilogA random DC value
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2023, 12:24am

There are various ways to run a statement only once.  There is the "analog initial" block or "@(initial_step)".  Just use a random function such that it gets called once, save it to a variable, and then use that variable to drive the output.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2023, 4:26am

I do not know which random function could I use. The random functions in VerilogA require a seed. Generating a random seed will have the same problem as I already have.

I've looked in different ways as well, but to no avail:
I haven't found a way to call a system function. I tried using the $simparam("systime") as a seed, but its resolution (1sec) wasn't random at all.
I also have not found (yet) a reliable way in our flow to execute a script between netlisting and simulation to insert a random value.

Therefore I would very grateful for any small working example.

Here is an example of mine:

Code:
`include "discipline.h"
`include "constants.h"

module rand_bit_simple (vout);
output vout;
electrical vout;
parameter integer seed = 21;
integer var_seed;
integer rnd;

analog begin
      @ (initial_step) begin
        var_seed = seed; // variable is needed; updated after every step
        rnd = $random(var_seed);
      end // initial step

V(vout) <+ rnd*1e-12;

end //analog
endmodule 

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2023, 8:02pm

You might try reading a few bytes from /dev/random or /dev/urandom and using that as the initial seed.

You definitely need a transition function around *rnd* in your contribution statement.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.